Civil War Tribute Quilt

Civil War Tribute Quilt
Another UFO

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Darting Birds

Okay, it is time for April's Block of the Month. Seems like I just posted March BOM...oh, wait, I did! That's because I was a little behind in my posts. This is block #4, called Darting Birds.



You will need:

Fabric A - Medium or dark fabric (Pick your favorite color, that's what I did anyway

Fabric B - Background or light

Fabric C - Another medium or dark fabric. Totally different color from Fabric A.


Cutting Directions: (Use the directions for cutting Half Square Triangles as shown in earlier post)

Fabric B (Background):

Cut 2 - 2 1/2" strips

Cut 24 - 2 1/2" Half Square Triangles (HST)

Cut 4 - 2 1/2" Squares


Fabric A & Fabric C: (From each Fabric)

Cut 1 - 4 1/2" strip

Cut 2 - 4 1/2" Half Square Triangles (HST)

Cut 1 - 2 1/2" strip

Cut 8 - 2 1/2" Half Square Triangles (HST)

Cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares


Sew Fabric A & Fabric C 2 1/2" HSTs to Fabric B - 2 1/2" HST to make a 2 1/2" HST square. Make 8 with Fabric A and 8 with Fabric C.


Sew Fabric B HSTs to each Fabric A and Fabric C - 2 1/2" Square to form a triangle (with is half of the unit shown below). Sew this unit to the 4 1/2" HST to make the unit below. You need 2 with Fabric A and 2 with Fabric C.



Lay out 1/4th of the block as shown the the pictures below. You will have 2 of Fabric A and 2 of Fabric C.

This is my Fabric A.


This is my Fabric C.


Sew the four units together to make you block as shown below.



Congratulations! You have completed another block!


I have been working on my setting blocks. I will show them to you and give you directions for them soon.


Have a wonderful week! Tomorrow is Quilt Guild meeting!

No comments: