Civil War Tribute Quilt

Civil War Tribute Quilt
Another UFO

Friday, July 10, 2015

Panel Quilts

Do you have panels that you bought to make a quick easy quilt and then once you got them home, you thought, "What am I going to do with this?"  I think several of us have been there, done that.
I designed two quilts from one panel over the past year.  This is supposed to be a class at Quilters Journey, and it will be this Fall.  I still have to write the patterns for the quilts.  The idea is two quilters can work on the two quilts together and then they will each have a quilt when they are finished.  Or, one quilter can make the two quilts and give one to their friend and keep one.  I finished these two quilts last month and showed them at our Third Saturday Sampler in June.  We had several sign up for the class.  One lady, who will be President of the guild in Rolla was there.  She later told the lady in charge of programs next year about it and suggested they ask me to do a program next year on making quilts with panels.  So, the lady called me and I agreed to do a program on designing and making quilts with panels.  Since then, I have been obsessed with panels.  My first thought was, "I need to go buy panels!"  Then I started looking around.  I have several panels and fabric to go with them to make several examples!  No need to buy more (although I have already!).  I have been researching and there are not very many books on using panels for quilt making.  Maybe there will be another one in the future.  There are several examples online, such as on Pinterest.  That has given me lots of ideas.  So, all those panels I have already purchased have come out to play and one has already become a quilt top (still deciding if it needs another border) and another one is in progress.  Three more panels have been purchased.  They will  not have to wait too long to become a quilt.  Two more are in the design process (two panels I already had).
That's what I have been working on.

Happy Quilting!

No comments: