Civil War Tribute Quilt

Civil War Tribute Quilt
Another UFO

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Quarter Square Triangle Ruler

This post is on how to cut Quarter Square Triangles using strips of fabric and a Quarter Square Triangle Ruler.
You need to determine the height of you Quarter Square Triangle (QST). If you are making an Hourglass Block and the finished size is 4", your QST will be half that size. So, it will finish 2". You need to add 1/2" to the finished size to get the unfinished size. Your unfinished size is 2 1/2". Cut a strip of fabric 2 1/2". Before I cut a QST, I cut off a Half Square Triangle (HST) to get started. You can see that in the picture. I have a 2 1/2" strip that I cut a HST from.




Place your ruler with the point side down and lay on your fabric strip. The point is actually blunt to allow for the seam allowance. Make a cut along the right side of the ruler. That is your first QST.








Turn your ruler around to make your next cut. Continue turning your ruler to make additional cuts until you have the number of QST you need. If you are cutting a lot of QST, you can layer your fabric strips to cut several strips at once.






After I have all my QST cut, I use my HST ruler to cut the tips off, as pictured below. This saves you time later. You will not have "dog ears" to cut off after you have sewn these together.








I cut QSTs from my background fabric to make this block. Cutting these triangles this way keeps your straight of grain on the outside edges. Your bias in in the middle where it should be.



I hope you will try the QST Ruler. It will save you fabric and time. I love doing QST this way. They are much more accurate when piecing.


Have a Quilty Day!

No comments: