Civil War Tribute Quilt

Civil War Tribute Quilt
Another UFO

Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday

It's finally Friday.  It has been a long week.  We were back in school after being off for 3 weeks...2 weeks for Christmas Break and 1 week because of snow.  They kids were ready to get back to school.  I have almost all new classes this Semester.  Most of the classes I teach are Semester classes, so they change completely.  It was a good week, but I didn't get much done in my quilting life.

Tomorrow is our 3rd Saturday Sampler class at the quilt shop.  We are ready for that.  We are also having a "Pre-cuts" class.  It will be different each month.  I did get a sample done for our project for next month.  I will be able to show it tomorrow.  The class tomorrow is using a Layer Cake, which is 42 - 10" squares.  We are cutting them with the Half Hexie ruler and then making a quilt.  Don't know why I have not taken a picture of that quilt.  I will have to do that tomorrow.  I will also take a picture of next month's quilt.

I have not had much time to quilt this week.  I loaded a quilt on the machine this week.  I think I was able to quilt 2 nights.  This is a large quilt...97" x 97".  I am doing a simple pantograph on it, so it is going fast.  The trouble is, the pantograph is not very wide, so it seems like I have to advance the quilt a lot.  The quilt is made from 2 1/2" strips.  It is one of Bonnie Hunter's designs called Scrappy Trip Around the World.  It is the second UFO I need to have finished for the CRS Quilt Guild meeting next month.  It is on my large UFO Challenge list.  I had trouble finding batting big enough for it.  Finally found a package of bamboo batting I had bought several years ago that was large enough.  I worked on the binding tonight for the small UFO Challenge quilt due next month.  I think I can get them both done.

What's on the machine

I have also been doing a little bit of sewing when I get a few minutes.  Sewing some large pinwheel blocks together to make Disappearing Pinwheel blocks for a future Pre-cuts class.  Just using fabric from my stash for them, but a Layer Cake will work for it.

I also worked on some of the pieces for the Celtic Solstice quilt, which is Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt this year.  This one is going to take some time to finish.  There are a lot of pieces in it, especially for the large quilt.

I will try to post more pictures of what I am working on in the future.  I would like to work on the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt this weekend.  Maybe I can cut some blocks tomorrow during class, after I get everyone started on their quilt.

Until next time...
Happy Quilting!

No comments: