Civil War Tribute Quilt

Civil War Tribute Quilt
Another UFO

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Quilt

We are starting a new class this Saturday at Quilters Journey, 10:00 a.m.-?, called Elm Creek Quilts.  We are doing The Loyal Union Sampler and Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilts.  Yes, at the same time.  I have a feeling that most will be making The Loyal Union Sampler quilt.  These are quilt books from novels by Jennifer Chiaverini.  I have read most, if not all, of her books.  Love them!  Anyway, I had to make samples of the blocks we are going to be working on this month.  I hope that everyone will get them all cut out and start sewing during class.  Then they can finish sewing them before next month's class.  Students can make them all or just the easy ones.  Some people don't like sewing Y seams and have said they would skip those blocks.  There are not many with Y seams.  There are also examples in the back of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book of different setting, which do not use all the blocks.  I don't remember if The Loyal Union Sampler has pictures of other setting.  I posted pictures of The Loyal Union Sampler blocks yesterday.  Here are pictures of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks.

 
The block that is blue and white in the top right corner still needs applique'.  I will try to have that done by Saturday.  It will be machine applique'.  There are little flowers and leaves that go in each corner.  My book has laid open so long that it wouldn't stay closed.  Can you see the little post-it note tabs around the book.  About a year ago, I went through and picked out all the "easy" blocks that I wanted to do to make a quilt that is in the back of the book.  I never did start the blocks.  I will leave the tabs there until I make that block.  I also have papers in the book that has all my notes. 

 
 
I pieced 8 of the 10 blocks last night.  The first two I did earlier.  Some of these blocks are paper pieced, one has a Y seam, and one has curves.  But, they were not too difficult.  I had them all cut out and ready to go, so it didn't take too long to piece them together.
 
The Loyal Union Sampler has all the blocks in alphabetical order.  The first row starts with "A" and continues through the quilt with the names of the blocks in order. It is easy to do the blocks for the first row.  Start at the beginning of the book and work your way through.  There are 11 blocks in each row and there are 121 blocks in the quilt.
Sylvia's Bridal Sampler does not have them in alphabetical order.  They are listed in the front of the book with the name of the block, page number, and position in the quilt.  For example, the first block (top left corner) is Mosaic No. 3.  It is on page 50 and the position is Block A-1.  So, I went through the book and made a list of all the rows, the name of the block, position of the block, and page number.  As I worked on the blocks, I had to flip through the book.  A little more time consuming, but it will be worth it.
These blocks will finish at 6".  I think they are fun to make.  I think my favorite one is the Star of the Orient.  It is the block that is at the bottom, second from the left.  The colors are red, blue, black, and white.
I am using the same background in all the blocks for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.  The colors will be different from the original quilt.  I am using fabrics from my stash as much as I can.  These blocks don't use much fabric because they are so small.  So, I probably won't have to purchase any fabric for awhile. 
For The Loyal Union Sampler, I am using blues and tans/creams.  Also using my stash.  I have LOTS of blue fabric, so probably won't have to purchase any blues for this one.
 
Well, that is it for now.  Plans for today:  exercise, start quilting another quilt, open the quilt shop at Noon, and go to a Quilt Guild meeting tonight in Rolla.  Not sure what I will work on at the shop today.
 
Happy Quilting!

No comments: